- Approx. 127 x 188cm / 50 × 74” (sizes may vary slightly)
- Hand block printed with AZO-free, non-toxic dyes
- Top, Back and Binding: Organic Cotton dyed with natural and low impact GOTS dyes
- Filling: Thin layer of cotton muslin
- Machine pieced and bound in our workshop in Chennai
- Hand quilted in West Bengal
Neram Kantha Throw Quilt
The Neram is a geometric patchwork quilt that combines block printing, embroidery and natural dyeing. Bold graphic forms are contrasted with delicate kantha stitches which give the quilt a subtle wavy texture that is only visible up close. The sheer volume of tiny stitches that cover the quilt is impressive. The gentle colour palette is achieved through natural, and GOTS dyes. The quilt is made of 100% organic cotton.
This ancient technique involves obtaining pigment or dye from plants, insects or minerals. The majority of natural dyes come from roots, flowers, berries, seeds, nuts, leaves, and bark. We are drawn to natural dyes because they can produce far richer, more complex shades than synthetic dyes. Colours tend to have great depth and are very soothing to the eye.
Block printing is one of the oldest forms of textile printing. It can be a slow and laborious process that requires a great deal of skill and precision. The technique involves using carved wooden blocks to imprint a design onto fabric by hand.
|Dimensions||127 × 188 cm|
Blue, Grey, Indigo, Madder Pink, Stripe
Block Printing, Natural Dyeing, Quilting